Thursday, March 5, 2009

Honk If You Hate Bumperstickers

I have a Mac, and I'm doggone proud of it. I had to work pre-tty hard to buy (or I like to say 'adopt') it. I sent out e-mails that looked like birth announcements when it arrived to my family and friends. I hope that this shows you just how proud of it I am. However, I chose not to display either one of the two apple stickers that were provided to me by Apple on my car. I just don't feel that need. Do I love my Mac? Yes. But do I communicate this to the world via apple shaped stickers? No.

I have a thing with bumper stickers. I just don't like them. I admit I form some pre-judgements about those who are pro-bumper sticker, but I don't think I can be blamed for this because YOUR OPINION IS STUCK TO YOUR BUMPER AT EYE LEVEL FOR THE WHOLE WORLD TO SEE. You're kinda asking for it, don't you think?

I guess why I am anti-bumper sticker is because I don't need to communicate my thoughts an opinions right above my muffler. I don't need to be labeled as a "liberal," "conservative," "dog lover," "mother of a bright child," or "owner of a bright dog." I don't need to parade around town with a 3 x 12 inch sticker declaring that I think George Bush is the devil, or that I completed a triathlon, or that I am pro-life or pro-choice, or that I think we should all just co-exist, or that I think Darwin was right. And please, whatever you do, don't tell me to honk if I......you get the point.

Driving to work this morning, I found myself behind a truck that had: 1) a bumper sticker declaring that he listened to public radio, 2) a bumper sticker that said 'share the road' on it with a picture of a bicycle on it, 3) a 'I love to bike' sticker, 4) an Obama election sticker, 5) an anti-Bush sticker, and last but not least, 6) a recycling symbol. I actually wanted to pull up beside him and ask, "Hey, man, I am looking for a liberal, bike-riding person who recycles & listens to public radio. Do you know where I could find somebody like that?"

I guess I'm just not a label girl.

No comments: