Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My Goose Is (Almost) Cooked



Day 7 of cohabitation and all is well.

I know I spoke of food in my last post, but I gotta tell you, I am so glad to have someone besides myself to cook for. As you may gather if you have ever read this blog over a period of time, my interests are cyclical. One month I’m way into stitching, then sewing, then baking, etc., etc. Well, the cooking cycle is in full swing and I’m ready to feed the masses.

In the interest of full domestic disclosure, I love to cook, but my repertoire is a bit limited. The things I cook, I know well, but I am ready to branch out a bit. I am not great with meats (I was a vegetarian during my formative learning-how-to-cook years), so I would love to get more comfortable with preparing meats. Thankfully, Mr. L is not a picky eater…

These are my summer food goals:

1) Make and can some jam
2) Learn how to properly make a loaf of bread (I’ve done it before, but I am always kind of guessing, so practice will make perfect) and bake at least 10 loaves over the summer
3) Learn how to cook a pork loin
4) Develop a collection of easy, healthy recipes that make Mr. L’s mouth water
5) Roast at least 5 chickens
6) Make homemade guacamole and salsa
7) Cook for a proper dinner party—appetizers, salads, main course, sides, desserts-- the works
8) Learn how to properly flip a pancake and omelet without ending up with a pile of mush in the skillet

So, wish me luck. I will keep posting about my progress.

XO,

The Future Gourmet

1 comment:

al said...

good luck... I make a good guac if you want recipe. Also, I want to make a good loaf of bread sans bread machine. Been looking for a recipe to try so if you happen upon something, send it over. Finally, I have learned that when Ashlee Jean is with me, I'm always able to flip my omelet flawlessly. She has some unbreakable omelet aura or something. I dunno. Good luck with the other stuff. I'll be glad to be a vegetarian participant at your dinner party experiment.