Wednesday, April 28, 2010

To Be Young Again


I finished a book that I was reading this weekend and it started me thinking. It starts when this particular character is around 35 or so and ends when she is 75ish. As she ages, the reader begins to really understand that youth is such a precious thing, and once it’s gone, it’s gone for good.

When you read things from this character’s perspective, you realize that even if things have gone horribly wrong in your life, you a) have the luxury of time to fix them and make them right, and b) you have your youth—life can’t be all that bad.

As I emerge from my most recent slump, I feel a little foolish. I am young! I have my whole life ahead of me! I am strong and healthy (save a little eye infection or two) and I can do as I please! How can I have let myself slip into a slump when all of these facts are true?

I hope that the next time I meander into the melancholy, I read over this post and think to myself, “Self, you’ve got your youth. Keep your chin up and carry on.” I think that tactic should work for at least the next couple of decades...

No comments: