Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Walk This Way

So lately, I’ve been walking for fitness. I begrudgingly went the first few times, my body protesting. It’s amazing how addictive inactivity is. On my first day back to fitness, I felt like an alcoholic being denied a drink for the first time in 20 years. My muscles bellyached as I started out, pleading me to please go back to my couch and watch more Netflix-based entertainment. Ignoring their pleas, I forged on.

As I walked, and walked, and walked, my muscles stopped screaming, and started humming. Strangely, the tune they were humming sounded amazingly like Aerosmith’s “Back in the Saddle Again.”

The good news about muscle addiction is that just as they can be addicted to idleness, they can also become addicted to exercise. Now that I have weaned myself off of complete jabba-the-hut-like inactivity, I am actually craving my afternoon walks.

So, these days, if you need me and can’t find me, I may be out walking. Walking away calories, cares, and concerns…and possibly humming some Aerosmith.

No comments: