Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Baked


When searching for a way to relax, more and more these days I turn to the kitchen. I have always liked the idea of cooking and baking, but in the past, I found more frustration than serenity. Now that I have learned to slow down and enjoy the process, I feel like I just left a yoga class or massage when there is bread baking in the oven.

For a long time, I had no one to bake for. In my old office in Tennessee, the 2 people that I worked with were constantly “on diets,” and I couldn’t possibly just bake for myself (I’d probably be hitting the 400 lb mark by now if I had) Now, I have a big office full of people to bake for. This makes my heart very happy.

Last night I whipped up some from scratch peanut butter cookies. So far, the reaction has been great. Though they hate me for wrecking their diets, they love me for the comfort food.

There’s something about being in my tiny little kitchen, music on, alone, and whipping up something good that just makes me feel at peace. In my kitchen I have no worries, no exhaustion, no restrictions, no pressure. It’s just me, a half cup of tranquility, a teaspoon of freedom, and a dash of contentment.

No comments: